The Kaipara Heritage Machinery (Dargaville) Inc. formerly Kaipara Vintage Machinery Club was founded in 2001 by a group of enthusiastic Gentlemen with an interest in preserving all types of vintage machinery that was once used in the Kaipara area, whether it was used in Timber, Gum and pastoral development of the land.
So much vintage and veteran machinery and implements have found their way to a new home, some in excellent condition others needing varying degrees of T.L.C.
Amongst our acquisitions is ‘Rose’ a 1952 N.C.K. excavator, 18 tons with a 50 ft boom, once used for pile driving, bridges and buildings. An R.B. 10 Dragline used extensively in the Northern Wairoa drain cleaning, building stop banks and digging water dams.
Tractors of many shapes, sizes and colours plus farm implements cowshed and dairy equipment, corn shellers, timber and logging machinery, horse and bullock harness. The 110 year old woolshed has been shifted to our site and is fully operational, the plant being driven by a Lister 3 H.P. petrol stationary motor.
A Southern Cross windmill has been relocated, the huge sails turning gracefully in the breeze.
A Booth Mac No. 3 hand wire tie, stationary baler is on display along with a large collection of other haymaking machinery.
So many treasures that are in storage can be displayed to advantage, evoking memories amongst the more senior citizens and helping our younger people to learn and appreciate the history of our area and life in days gone by.